My friend had a holiday party last weekend and asked us all to bring ornaments. I figured it was the perfect occasion to try out this recipe I spotted on Pinterest. Plus, bringing something homemade always adds a nice personal touch.
- 1 cup of applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. cloves (optional)
- cookie cutters (I used a heart)
- string for hanging
- Mix 1 cup of applesauce with 1 cup of cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add cloves and the leftover cinnamon a tablespoon at a time until you get the desired consitency. You want something that resembles play-dough. Be sure to mix well!
- Roll dough to 1/4" thick.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Use your cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Carefully use a skewer or chopstick to make a hole through each ornament.
- Bake 1-2 hours until applesauce has evaporated and let dry in the oven overnight.
- Loop string through each hole and hang on your tree! These smell so good I might put one in my car too.
(Inspired by Katy Elliot)