The Super Bowl was on Sunday, and while I'm not super in to football, I can definitely get in to the snacks. My contribution to the party? Candied bacon. I saw this recipe a while ago and I've been dying to try it. Plus, bacon just screams football watching, doesn't it? Simple enough, this is basically just bacon covered with brown sugar and thrown in the oven. I didn't even follow the recipe. It tastes like sin in the best possible way. Sweet and savory and oozing with bacon-y goodness (aka grease). I'm definitely going for a run tomorrow...but it was so worth it. Here are pictures of a test batch where I only made five pieces, but it'd be just as easy to make a larger batch.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder (I just used black pepper)
- 20 slices of thick-cut bacon (1 1/2 pounds)
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with foil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the brown sugar with the chile powder.
- Press bacon strips in to the sugar mixture.
- Arrange the bacon strips on the foil and sprinkle any sugar leftover onto the bacon.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until caramelized and almost crisp. Transfer the bacon to a rack set over a sheet of foil to cool completely; serve.
(Inspired by Food & Wine)