I just love lemon cupcakes! I even posted a different recipe before. So when my lemon tree started fruiting, I knew what I had to do. Here's another lemon cupcake recipe that I like more than the first. Starting off with meringue makes the cupcakes so light and fluffy.
- 2 1/3 cups cake flour
- 2 ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
3. In the clean, dry bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and increase the speed to medium-high. Beat just until stiff peaks form when the whisk is lifted. Transfer the egg whites to a separate bowl (not plastic), clean and dry the mixer bowl and reattach it with the paddle attachment.
4. Add the butter to the mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth.
5. Gradually add the sugar and beat until incorporated.
6. Mix in the lemon zest. Beat the mixture on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
7. Beat in ¼ cup of the milk until just blended.
8. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the remaining milk in three batches, beginning and ending with the flour; scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat until just blended.
9. Using a rubber spatula, fold one quarter of the egg whites into the batter, being careful not to deflate the mixture. Once incorporated, add in the rest of the whites (including any liquid that may have accumulated on the bottom of the bowl) and gently fold in until well combined; no white should remain.
10. Using a large cookie/ice cream scoop, divide the batter between the cupcake liners, filling each liner about 2/3 full. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18-22 minutes, turning the pans around halfway through the baking time.
11. Cool the cupcakes in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes then remove them from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
For cream cheese frosting:
- 1 1/2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. In an electric mixer beat the cream cheese and butter on high until smooth.
2. Add confectioners' sugar. Continue to beat on high until the lumps have all dissolve.
3. Beat in vanilla extract and lemon juice on low speed until the frosting is completely mixed.